Following announcement at the AILO AGM, the Management Committee was delighted to be able to present the 2023 winner with their trophy.
Huge congratulations to Olwyn O’Driscoll, Deputy Head of Tax for the Utmost Group in Ireland.
This is the first year that AILO has presented the Emerging Talent Award which recognises an individual who is progressing their career in the cross-border life, pensions and wealth management sector and who has made significant contribution during the year.
Nominations were sought from all AILO Member firms based on the following criteria.
- Actively involved and adding value to AILO
- Not in a senior executive position (ie not C-Suite, Executive Management)
- Demonstrates personal development: e.g., ongoing learning, qualifications etc.
- Shows high initiative and comes up with workable solutions
- Strong communicator
- Team player but has confidence to express own ideas
- Shows above average drive to progress
The AILO Management Committee reviewed the nominations received and selected Olwyn as the 2023 winner.
“It was a difficult decision for the Committee,” commented Bob Pain (AILO CEO), “but Olwyn’s nomination demonstrated not only where she met the criteria but also where she was exemplary in the skills and behaviours the Emerging Talent Award aims to recognise.”
Just some of the observations that caught the Committee’s attention were:
- a positive influence in the department;
- consistently demonstrates strong performance … goes above and beyond if a project is behind schedule or a deadline is imminent;
- instrumental in driving the strategic direction of this project, dealing with the highly technical queries from Revenue and working with different departments in the optimal solutions for our internal process.
- demonstrates strong cross functional collaboration and actively liaises with other departments … regularly brings her knowledge for the benefit of others.
- Strong communication skills to effectively explain complex tax matters to non-experts …. able to tailor the advice for the relevant department
Bob added “The Committee was particularly pleased to hear about Olwyn’s contribution to AILO where she directed queries to the Irish Revenue and fed through potential solutions to the practical difficulties facing UK trustees/clients registering on the Irish CRBOT to the AILO TRS Working Group. Thank you, Olwyn, and well done!”
The AILO Emerging Talent Award complements the James Ball Award which acknowledges significantly experienced individuals within the industry and our 35th Anniversary Student Award which supports the next generation of financial professionals.